Her Desire To Help Others Resulted In Online Success
If I had just retired, all the knowledge acquired from my training and 24 years of experience with thousands of individuals and couples would have been completely lost. It just feels so satisfying, knowing that I can pass on what I have learned to so many people. – Elly Prior
Welcome to A Christmas Carol – Sitesell-style! Each day we’re going to re-introduce one of our successful SBIers and their amazing stories. Like the Ghost of Christmas Past, we’ll revisit these tales of old and see what lessons we can glean.
For this eleventh day of Christmas, we’re visiting with Elly Prior, of Professional-Counselling.com, who was a professional counsellor from the Netherlands, living in the UK.
Over the years, she taught herself how to use various programs to create her own marketing materials. She started with brochures and when she saw that Microsoft Publisher could also build her a website, she was stunned.
Elly had never considered using the web for her business, not even just to market it. And her first forays were filled with a lot of trial and error. She outgrew Publisher, of course, but was pleased to see that despite her rough attempts, her ideas were resonating and her site’s traffic was growing.
Finding a better system though proved to be more daunting than she imagined.
She spent years researching other platforms and systems. She tried using WordPress. Twice. Both times coming away frustrated at the lack of support and far-too-many options.
She tried build-it-in-three-minutes tools, and took an adult course on Dreamweaver to attempt building her own site from scratch.
Elly even looked into hiring web designers to build her a site, but always came away with estimates that were too expensive, and still required her to put in time researching keywords and creating content. Not to mention, every added feature was an added cost, and changes down the road would cost too.
Finally, she stumbled onto SBI! and knew immediately that she’d found what she was looking for. SBI! gave her the right mix of tools, processes and support that she’d needed all this time.
When, years later, she migrated back to the Netherlands and found, to her surprise, few employers were interested in hiring a 57 year old, she leaned on her website and it responded amazingly.
“The magic happened between December 2011 and August 2012, when I remigrated, my website suddenly took off. By January 2013 I realised I no longer needed a job or to develop any other kind of business.” – Elly Prior
Elly Prior, a self-professed ‘web nerd’, shared her counselling experience and has turned it into a successful online business thanks to SBI!, and you can too!
As we’re whisked away by the Ghost of Christmas Past, back to present-day, overlooking the streets crowded with busy people hustling through the Christmas Season, we’re reminded of how important things like Family really are.
Just like Ebenezer Scrooge, even we sometimes need to be confronted by such stories in order to truly recognize what’s important to us, and what we need to do to change.
Do not let another Christmas pass by while your dreams of owning a business fester in your belly like a bit of undigested cheese. Throw open the curtains and renew your lease on life! It doesn’t matter how young or old you are, now is the time to get started.
A SiteSell Christmas Carol
- How Two Grad Students Turned Their Hobby Into A Business
- Her Passion For San Francisco Led To Over $5k A Month
- He Turned His Knowledge Into Ongoing Retirement Income
- Start a Business and Spend MORE Time at Home? Here’s How They Did It.
- The Great Recession Couldn’t Stop This Resourceful Solopreneur
- Her Battle With Health Issues Led To A Vibrantly Successful Business
- This Solopreneur Spun Her Legal Questions Into Legal Tender
- She Found A Way To Share Her Knowledge For Free And Still Make Money
- She Was Determined To Overcome Her Disabilities And Build A Business
- She Washed Away Soviet Brainwashing To Build The Life She Wanted
- Her Desire To Help Others Resulted In Online Success
- This British Ballerina Helped Others Overcome Their Fears
Learn From More High-Traffic, Profitable Solopreneurs
- Recent Success Stories With Takeaway Lessons. Read more recent inspiring stories from our blog. They deliver useful ideas and takeaway lessons from folks who’ve “done it and won it.” If they can do it, you can, too!
- Multi-Year SBI! Reviews. We take a deep-dive into the long term, full business stories of several different types of solopreneur successes. They periodically update their progress so you can see how they and their businesses grow over a period of years. This gives you excellent insight into what solopreneurs can accomplish with real online businesses.
- Hundreds of the “Top 0.5%.” Every one of these SBI! businesses (hundreds of them) rank in the top 1 million active websites (out of approximately 200 million!). That’s all the more impressive because 1) we are such a small community and 2) many Top 0.5% sites are mid-sized or large companies.
Solopreneurs fail at astronomical rates. SBI! makes you 100x more likely to succeed (that’s not a typo!). It will never be easy, but we do make it way more doable.
Scan the wide variety of solopreneurs who are winning in real niches. Use it to get a feeling for what SBIers do, as well as to generate ideas. What do you know? Turn it into a business.