The Great Recession Couldn’t Stop This Resourceful Solopreneur
“The most enjoyable part of being an online website owner is the freedom. Freedom to work eighteen hour days if you want – and you will on occasion because you LOVE it! The freedom of speech. The freedom to create. The freedom to be your own clichéd boss. It’s all true. It’s all good.” – Susan Gast
Welcome to A Christmas Carol – Sitesell-style! Each day we’re going to re-introduce one of our successful SBIers and their amazing stories. Like the Ghost of Christmas Past, we’ll revisit these tales of old and see what lessons we can glean.
For this fifth day of Christmas, we’re visiting with Susan Gast, of Easy-Food-Dehydrating.com, who was hit as hard as anyone during the Great Recession of 2008. While she was already working from home, the work she was doing was freelance mechanical engineering design, and when the housing bubble burst, so did her source of contracts.
She tried a number of other ways to make money online, like selling products fulfilled via Amazon, but never got any traction.
But Susan refused to give up. Ever since she was 15, she’d been learning incredible values from her dad, who was a solopreneur himself from the day he left the British Army. He had instilled in his daughter how important is was to work hard, so she kept at it.
Eventually, Susan stumbled on an idea for a business, based on newscast from Glenn Beck, and an experience she’d had years earlier.
Back in 2004, Susan and her family had endured back-to-back hurricanes. While they were spared the worst of the destruction, they were still left without power for weeks. Fresh food ran out or spoiled, and freezers were useless.
Then, years later, Susan was watching Fox News and Glenn Beck was talking about how he and his family had stored dehydrated food in their basement for emergencies – food that wouldn’t be susceptible to power outages.
Susan had her idea for a business, one that would help others to prepare dehydrated foods for themselves, but she’d never build an online business before. She turned to the Internet for help, and finally found SiteSell.
“I was persuaded with common-sense information that SBI! was the “real deal” – chock full of business guidance that “the other” website hosts just don’t offer.”
Susan Gast launched her new website in 2010 and has turned it into a successful online business thanks to SBI!, and you can too!
As we’re whisked away by the Ghost of Christmas Past, back to present-day, overlooking the streets crowded with busy people hustling through the Christmas Season, we’re reminded of how important things like Family really are.
Just like Ebenezer Scrooge, even we sometimes need to be confronted by such stories in order to truly recognize what’s important to us, and what we need to do to change.
Do not let another Christmas pass by while your dreams of owning a business fester in your belly like a bit of undigested cheese. Throw open the curtains and renew your lease on life! It doesn’t matter how young or old you are, now is the time to get started.
A SiteSell Christmas Carol
- How Two Grad Students Turned Their Hobby Into A Business
- Her Passion For San Francisco Led To Over $5k A Month
- He Turned His Knowledge Into Ongoing Retirement Income
- Start a Business and Spend MORE Time at Home? Here’s How They Did It.
- The Great Recession Couldn’t Stop This Resourceful Solopreneur
- Her Battle With Health Issues Led To A Vibrantly Successful Business
- This Solopreneur Spun Her Legal Questions Into Legal Tender
- She Found A Way To Share Her Knowledge For Free And Still Make Money
- She Was Determined To Overcome Her Disabilities And Build A Business
- She Washed Away the 9-5 Brainwashing To Build The Life She Wanted
- Her Desire To Help Others Resulted In Online Success
- This British Ballerina Helped Others Overcome Their Fears
Learn From More High-Traffic, Profitable Solopreneurs
- Recent Success Stories With Takeaway Lessons. Read more recent inspiring stories from our blog. They deliver useful ideas and takeaway lessons from folks who’ve “done it and won it.” If they can do it, you can, too!
- Multi-Year SBI! Reviews. We take a deep-dive into the long term, full business stories of several different types of solopreneur successes. They periodically update their progress so you can see how they and their businesses grow over a period of years. This gives you excellent insight into what solopreneurs can accomplish with real online businesses.
- Hundreds of the “Top 0.5%.” Every one of these SBI! businesses (hundreds of them) rank in the top 1 million active websites (out of approximately 200 million!). That’s all the more impressive because 1) we are such a small community and 2) many Top 0.5% sites are mid-sized or large companies.
Solopreneurs fail at astronomical rates. SBI! makes you 100x more likely to succeed (that’s not a typo!). It will never be easy, but we do make it way more doable.
Scan the wide variety of solopreneurs who are winning in real niches. Use it to get a feeling for what SBIers do, as well as to generate ideas. What do you know? Turn it into a business.