Do What You Love, Love What You Do, Episode 5: Being Excited Each Day (An SBI! Success Story)
By Nancy Ulrich, polymerclayer.com
Tell us about your websites, www.polymerclayer.com and www.memory-foam-maniac.com? When and why did you start your sites?
I started blundering about in the online entrepreneurial world in 2006. My husband and I were (are) real estate agents in southern California and could clearly see a crash ahead (due to a weird event that we observed in 2005). So my primary focus was ‘how can I make money online’? There was also a quietly persistent urge to build an outlet for my creativity, but I managed to squash that for another 7 years.
I started Memory-Foam-Maniac.com in 2009 because the material’s amazing squishy comfort helped me sleep in spite of the stresses of being a real estate agent during the real estate meltdown during the Great Recession.
PolymerClayer.com was born in 2013 because the urge to create an online business around my favorite creative outlet just would not leave me alone!
Are you working full-time or part-time on building your website / online business?
I’m working part time on my business, about 2 – 4 hours a day.
So far, what has been the biggest challenge for you?
Having the courage to follow my muse and the patience to allow it to grow in its own way. It’s no longer enough to choose a niche that looks like it will be immediately profitable. You have to be able to project authenticity and enthusiasm for your online business. Because if you don’t care, other people won’t either. You also won’t have the fortitude to develop your unique voice. And you won’t have the patience to observe your online audience to discover what it truly craves…even if it doesn’t exist yet.
What do you enjoy most about being an online business owner?
I love having permission to thoroughly explore something that fascinates me because ‘It’s my business’. Making money in your sleep is also very cool.
Has your life changed since you started your site? Can you describe these changes for us?
I’m excited when I wake up in the morning again! Creating my own opportunities using my creativity and talent is so much better than waiting for some government official to do the right thing to improve my life.
Why did you choose SBI! to build your website / online business?
After purchasing way too many programs that promised instant online riches and success I stumbled upon SiteSell in 2008. The review that finally converted me said that with SiteSell you had the best chance of making back your initial fees. Not exactly the most ringing endorsement, but like manna in the internet desert to someone who’d been chasing one get-rich-quick promise after another.
What one piece of advice would you give someone who is just getting started in the online business world?
Allow yourself to be excited about what you’re creating… or don’t bother.
You’ll also need what SiteSell can give you:
- An online business system that steers you towards the most effective business building activities
- A flourishing community support system where you can get answers and inspiration
Ready to create an online business of your own? SBI! provides all you need: process, tools, guidance and support.
Learn From More High-Traffic, Profitable Solopreneurs
- Recent Success Stories With Takeaway Lessons. Read more recent inspiring stories from our blog. They deliver useful ideas and takeaway lessons from folks who’ve “done it and won it.” If they can do it, you can, too!
- Multi-Year SBI! Reviews. We take a deep-dive into the long term, full business stories of several different types of solopreneur successes. They periodically update their progress so you can see how they and their businesses grow over a period of years. This gives you excellent insight into what solopreneurs can accomplish with real online businesses.
- Hundreds of the “Top 0.5%.” Every one of these SBI! businesses (hundreds of them) rank in the top 1 million active websites (out of approximately 200 million!). That’s all the more impressive because 1) we are such a small community and 2) many Top 0.5% sites are mid-sized or large companies.
Solopreneurs fail at astronomical rates. SBI! makes you up to 100x more likely to succeed (that’s not a typo!). It will never be easy, but we do make it way more doable.
Scan the wide variety of solopreneurs who are winning in real niches. Use it to get a feeling for what SBIers do, as well as to generate ideas. What do you know? Turn it into a business.