Start a Business and Spend MORE Time at Home? Here’s How They Did It.
We work on our own terms and have not had to answer to anyone. We have both been available for our families and can vacation whenever we choose. None of which could have been possible for two women with ZERO knowledge of the Internet or having an online business.Laura Gawne and Susan Bain
Welcome to A Christmas Carol – Sitesell-style! Each day we’re going to re-introduce one of our successful SBIers and their amazing stories. Like the Ghost of Christmas Past, we’ll revisit these tales of old and see what lessons we can glean.
For this fourth day of Christmas, we’re visiting with Laura Gawne and Susan Bain, of Cheap-Chic-Weddings.com, sisters who were looking to change the direction of their lives and income.
Laura was working a job she hated, for a phone company, and having to put in so much time she couldn’t be with her family. She hated the fact that she had no choice but to put her son in daycare.
Her sister, Susan, was feeling the same thing, and really wanted to be able to spend more time at home with her teenage boys.
The two of them put their heads together and came up with the idea of starting their own business, and even had their mother, Roxie, express a willingness to be involved.
But they had no idea what they would do. And no idea where to begin.
As they looked back at the things they’d done in the past that they enjoyed, the one thing that stood out was weddings. They’d both planned their own weddings and loved it. And they’d been good at it too! One of the catering restaurants tried to hire them, after being blown away by the planning and gorgeous decor.
So that was the idea, but still they needed a real plan for turning that idea into an income.
After searching online, they discovered SiteSell and the SBI! process for building up solopreneurs, and they knew they’d found their way.
Laura said that, “With the help of SBI’s guidance, we came up with our website concept combining all of our strengths and experience in planning our own weddings, working in business, catering, and organizing events and parties.”
It took patience and hard work to get going, but by the time Laura’s son was in pre-K, she had quit her job and was working from home full time.
Laura Gawne and Susan Bain recognized what was most important to them, family, and changed their lives with a successful online business thanks to SBI!, and you can too!
As we’re whisked away by the Ghost of Christmas Past, back to present-day, overlooking the streets crowded with busy people hustling through the Christmas Season, we’re reminded of how important things like Family really are.
Just like Ebenezer Scrooge, even we sometimes need to be confronted by such stories in order to truly recognize what’s important to us, and what we need to do to change.
Do not let another Christmas pass by while your dreams of owning a business fester in your belly like a bit of undigested cheese. Throw open the curtains and renew your lease on life! It doesn’t matter how young or old you are, now is the time to get started.
A SiteSell Christmas Carol
- How Two Grad Students Turned Their Hobby Into A Business
- Her Passion For San Francisco Led To Over $5k A Month
- He Turned His Knowledge Into Ongoing Retirement Income
- Start a Business and Spend MORE Time at Home? Here’s How They Did It
- The Great Recession Couldn’t Stop This Resourceful Solopreneur
- Her Battle With Health Issues Led To A Vibrantly Successful Business
- This Solopreneur Spun Her Legal Questions Into Legal Tender
- She Found A Way To Share Her Knowledge For Free And Still Make Money
- She Was Determined To Overcome Her Disabilities And Build A Business
- She Washed Away the 9-5 Brainwashing To Build The Life She Wanted
- Her Desire To Help Others Resulted In Online Success
- This British Ballerina Helped Others Overcome Their Fears
Learn From More High-Traffic, Profitable Solopreneurs
- Recent Success Stories With Takeaway Lessons. Read more recent inspiring stories from our blog. They deliver useful ideas and takeaway lessons from folks who’ve “done it and won it.” If they can do it, you can, too!
- Multi-Year SBI! Reviews. We take a deep-dive into the long term, full business stories of several different types of solopreneur successes. They periodically update their progress so you can see how they and their businesses grow over a period of years. This gives you excellent insight into what solopreneurs can accomplish with real online businesses.
- Hundreds of the “Top 0.5%.” Every one of these SBI! businesses (hundreds of them) rank in the top 1 million active websites (out of approximately 200 million!). That’s all the more impressive because 1) we are such a small community and 2) many Top 0.5% sites are mid-sized or large companies.
Solopreneurs fail at astronomical rates. SBI! makes you up to 100x more likely to succeed (that’s not a typo!). It will never be easy, but we do make it way more doable.
Scan the wide variety of solopreneurs who are winning in real niches. Use it to get a feeling for what SBIers do, as well as to generate ideas. What do you know? Turn it into a business.