How An Oil Worker Brewed Up A Profitable Side Business
I chose SBI! for many reasons, but mostly because it offered someone with no web skills a chance to build not just a professional, well-designed website, but a web business.Bobby Don Johnson
Welcome to A Christmas Carol — SiteSell-style! Each day re-introducing one of our successful SBIers and their amazing stories. Like the Ghost of Christmas Past, we have been revisiting these tales of old and seeing what lessons we can glean.
For this final Christmas story, we’re visiting with Bobby Don Johnson of winning-homebrew.com who, in 2009, was facing a crisis.
Bobby was born in West Texas, got his degree from Texas State University, and is a veteran who served in the U.S. Army.
For years, Bobby worked in the oil industry as a consultant field engineer, most recently on the North Slope in Alaska. And that’s where the problem lay.
You see, the oil industry is incredibly intertwined with world economies. As Middle East suppliers raise prices, nations halfway around the world are impacted. Similarly, when U.S. lenders started to fail in 2008, precipitating a global recession, demand for oil plummeted, and production had to react accordingly.
That left Bobby unemployed for an entire year.
Rather than spend time looking for a job that probably wouldn’t use his skills and expertise, , Bobby decided to use that time to start an online business.
That’s when Bobby found SBI!.
But, just like successful mompreneur Taylor Flanery, his choice of topic was quite different from his profession.
Build An Online Business From Your Passion
Bobby had been interested in winemaking for years, and had recently gotten into making beer and mead. But guess what? Researching how to make your own beer online was a huge challenge. Bobby’s interests led him to the realization of a need…
One that he could fulfill.
That’s when winning-homebrew.com was born.
Being a big Bob Marley fan, and the fact that Marley rhymes with Barley, I chose Mob Barley as my pseudonym and the name of my brewery became Mob Barley’s Brewery.Bobby Don Johnson
Bobby has built a rich resource for anyone wishing to start their own home brewery. Each time he encountered a new problem or question, he would have to dig through a variety of websites, books and other sources to figure it out. Combining those answers with his own expertise and turning them into easily found content is a huge, value-add winning formula!
Building off the knowledge he gained from starting that first business, Bobby has gone on to begin a second business for himself. He now also teaches others how to start their own online business, based on SBI!’s CTPM Process (i.e., the right way to do it!).
Winning-homebrew.com has grown into a very nice side project for Bobby. Passive income levels fully fund his brewing hobby (plus some lagniappe — look that one up! 😉 ).
Even without more active monetization models (such as selling some of the delicious Mob Barley product), he has achieved the level of success that most solopreneurs only dream of – a success rate that is very common among SBIers. Following the right process, using the right tools, with guidance from like-minded community members whenever you need it, makes online business success doable.
As we’re whisked away by the Ghost of Christmas Past, back to present-day, overlooking the streets crowded with busy people bustling through the Christmas Season, we’re reminded of how important things like family really are.
Just like Ebenezer Scrooge, we sometimes need to be confronted by such stories in order to truly recognize what’s important to us, and what we need to do to change.
Do not let another Christmas pass by while your dreams of owning a business fester in your belly like a bit of undigested cheese. Throw open the curtains and renew your lease on life! It doesn’t matter how young or old you are, now is the time to get started.
Read More Successful Online Solopreneur Christmas Stories:
- How A Successful Attorney Transitioned To A Successful Online Mompreneur
- How An Army Veteran Launched A Golden Online Business
- How The Decision to Start An Online Business Changed Her Life Forever
- He Leveraged His Pain And Achieved 100k Visitors To His Website
- How An Oil Worker Brewed Up A Profitable Side Business (you are here)
Learn From More High-Traffic, Profitable Solopreneurs
- Recent Success Stories With Takeaway Lessons. Read more recent inspiring stories from our blog. They deliver useful ideas and takeaway lessons from folks who’ve “done it and won it.” If they can do it, you can, too!
- Multi-Year SBI! Reviews. We take a deep-dive into the long term, full business stories of several different types of solopreneur successes. They periodically update their progress so you can see how they and their businesses grow over a period of years. This gives you excellent insight into what solopreneurs can accomplish with real online businesses.
- Hundreds of the “Top 0.5%.” Every one of these SBI! businesses (hundreds of them) rank in the top 1 million active websites (out of approximately 200 million!). That’s all the more impressive because 1) we are such a small community and 2) many Top 0.5% sites are mid-sized or large companies.
Solopreneurs fail at astronomical rates. SBI! makes you up to 100x more likely to succeed (that’s not a typo!). It will never be easy, but we do make it way more doable.
Scan the wide variety of solopreneurs who are winning in real niches. Use it to get a feeling for what SBIers do, as well as to generate ideas. What do you know? Turn it into a business.